Assad regime renewed its bombardment on the city of Darayya on Friday as it dropped 10 barrel bombs, raising the dropped toll to 35 barrel bombs within 24 hours.
According to the local council of Darayya, Assad terrorists bombed the city on Thursday with a number of 43 barrel bombs and 10 mortar shells, adding that nearly 500 targets were shot by sniper bullets.
In addition, the Assad regime dropped 309 barrel bombs between June 8 and 16 targeting residential neighborhoods of Darayya, the city’s council reported.
Families of Daaryya have been living a difficult situation during the days of the month of Ramadan, especially since the city lacks the basic necessities of life due to the siege imposed by the Assad regime.
However, opposition fighters managed to decipher the partial siege on the city located in the western Ghouta after taking control of a mass of buildings and strategic sites.
— المجلس المحلي داريا (@DarayaCouncil) June 24, 2016
Bombing after air drops was achieved
Darayya was bombed one day after receiving airdropped aid, UN humanitarian aid chief Stephen O’Brien said Thursday.
The diplomat said Darayya was hit by dozens of barrel bombs and was “now dubbed Syria’s capital of barrel bombs.”
“Those responsible” for throwing barrel bombs in Syria will be held accountable, he added.
The incident “shows that the situation for people in besieged and hard-to-reach areas will not be solved by humanitarian aid delivery alone,” O’Brien said.
The United Nations now estimates there are 5 million Syrians in need of humanitarian aid living in hard-to-reach areas, nearly a million more than the previous figure.
Stephen O’Brien, the UN’s emergency relief coordinator, told the Security Council today that the increase of 900,000 people over the previous estimate of 4.1 million people in April was mainly due to growing insecurity in a number of areas.
“This large increase is based on several factors, but primarily the inclusion of areas in parts of Aleppo, Raqqa and Hasakeh governorates as a result of insecurity, as well as constrained access for humanitarian actors,” O’Brien said.
Francois Delattre, permanent representative of France to the UN and current Security Council president, earlier this month announced that the Syrian government had been unresponsive to an international plan to start aid delivery June 1.
The plan was announced last month by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on behalf of the International Syria Support Group.
“A very high number of access requests made by the United Nations are still denied as we speak by the Syrian authorities,” Delattre said at the time.