A prominent leader in the Iran-backed Houthi militia in Yemen threatened Saudi Arabia saying his forces will attack the kingdom if the Yemen peace talks in Kuwait fails.
The leader, named Abu Malik al-Fishi, said that the peace talks is going to fail as Saudi Arabia and the UN didn’t put efforts to make it succeed. He also
He also threatened Saudi Arabia with a war that will have devastating results in them unless they used the next days to find a solution for the talks in Kuwait.
He promised to target the Suadi cities, force its citizens to flee as happened in Yemen, and destroy the Saudi infrastructure.
He said that the Houthi forces will make Saudis feel as we felt target all Saudi areas except for Mecca and Madina, as they are sacred cities and must remain safe for the displaces people.
This latest statement is an unexpected development in Abu Malik’s speech, as he previously criticized Iran for its intervention in Yemen and praised Saudi Arabia in April 2016.
Yemen has been racked by chaos since late 2014, when the Houthis and their allies overran Sanaa and other parts of the country, forcing President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi and his Saudi-backed government to temporarily flee to Riyadh.
The Saudi-led coalition began a military campaign against Iran-backed Houthi militias in March 2015. It sides with the President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, while the Houthis are aligned with ousted President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who was ousted after Yemen revolution in 2012
Car bomb targets Houthi leaders in Sanaa
A car bomb exploded after Friday prayers at a mosque held by Houthi rebels the centre of Sanaa. The targets were Houthis leaders who were among the worshippers in Bilal mosque but the bomb did not go off until after everyone had left, meaning there were no casualties.
No group has admitted the attack but the authorities are convinced it was the work of extremists. A source in the interior ministry in rebel-controlled capital said the bomb was intended to show that extremists are very much present in the Yemeni capital.
“This bombing is a clear message that there are terrorist groups in Sanaa so we have to intensify the security in the city,” he said.
“We are used to seeing terrorist groups target military camps in the south [of Yemen] but if they are targetting mosques, people will be too afraid even to come and pray.”