After extending its cancellation of services to the Egyptian beach resort until February 2017, the Monarch is refunding flights to Sharm el Sheikh, according to The Telegraph.
The British airline was aiming to resume flights on October 30 but said that “with no update or indications as to when the Foreign Office advice may change, it has decided to postpone any chance of resumption to February 9.
It is taking bookings on flights from February 10 through to the end of April but said it “will review this in the coming weeks, subject to government advice.”
Monarch flights cancellation comes a week after Theresa May praised Egypt’s “ongoing efforts to improve security at Sharm el-Sheikh airport” in a phone conversation with Egyptian al-Sisi.
However, it seems it wasn’t more than a political compliment but UK does not risk the safety of the British citizens.
In this context, the Foreign Office has advised against air travel to the popular Egyptian resort since the crash of the Russian airliner shortly after taking off in October last year, killing 224 Russian passengers and crew.
Sinai Province-a group affliated to ISIS- has claimed responsibility for downing the Russian plane.
The British Prime Minister had “recognized the economic effects of the suspension” of flights, but there remains no date on the lifting of the travel restrictions, according to Downing Street.
In addition, the chief executive of Monarch, Andrew Swaffield said he was disappointed in having to cancel bookings again.
He said that there has been much effort spent by both the UK and Egyptian governments, along with the travel industry, to improve safety measures at Sharm el-Sheikh Airport and we hope to be able to re-open this popular holiday market by February.
In fact, the British airline, which is offering customers booked on flights either a refund or the chance to move to other dates or routes at no extra cost, is just one airline or tour operator with other UK airlines who were forced to extend the cancellation as the Foreign Office travel restriction remains in place.
Nearly 700,000 Britons tourists used to visit Sharm el-Sheikh resort before the British ban on flights.