Ahmed Moussa, a pro-Sisi TV presenter, has claimed that his Twitter account was hacked after the results of a poll he conducted about al- Sisi’s future didn’t go as he desired.
The pro-government T.V presenter shut down his Twitter account after an improvised poll results on Abdel Fattah al-Sisi explicitly embarrassed the T.V presenter and the regime as well.
The ‘reject’ respondents to Ahmed Moussa’s question about the future of al-Sisi’s rule for a second term in office surprised Moussa and he hurriedly closed his account.
“On Thursday, Ahmed Moussa asked his Twitter followers on Thursday to say whether they would re-elect the general-turned-president for another term in office,” reported al-Arabi al-Jadeed.
However, to Moussa’s surprise, the poll result was “80% of respondents – about 1,500 people – voted ‘No’“
Later, the TV host deactivated his Twitter account, claiming on Facebook page that it had been hacked.
Moreover, he also insisted that 90% had responded in favor of reelecting al-Sisi for another term in office.
“People say: we can’t do without you O President,” Moussa said on his Facebook page, according to Al-Arabi al-Jadeed.
But despite deleting the account, the poll results’ screen shot images spread on the social media before they were taken down.
The pictures show the poll, which asks “Do you support the nomination of #Al-Sisi for a second term in office?” with a response of 81% for ‘No’, while only 19 % voted in favor of al-Sisi.
Moreover, the Egyptian social media activists commented on the closure of Ahmed Moussa’s Twitter account, saying that he ran away in shame after the poll backfired.
In fact, this isn’t the first poll that reflects the decline in al-Sisi’s popularity who was once viewed as the savior of the country by part of the Egyptians.
A recent field study for the Egyptian Center for Media and Public Opinion Takamol Masr found that 74% of the Egyptians refuse the continuation of the al-Sisi regime while 11% only wanted the regime to continue and 15% don’t care about what is happening on the Egyptian scene.
The rejection of the al-Sisi regime is high within the age categories that are less than 40 reaching 81%, and it is relatively close for both males and females, according to the “Takamol Masr” study.
In the same context, the Economist has highlighted al-Sisi as the one who is responsible for the ruining of Egypt in its editorial titled: The Ruining of Egypt…Repression and the incompetence of al-Sisi are stoking the second uprising.”
The magazine said at the end of its editorial that the demographic, economic and social pressures in Egypt are relentlessly increasing and that al-Sisi is incapable of providing the sustainable stability to Egypt, the political regime also needs to be reopened.
The magazine also considered al-Sisi’s withdrawal from the political life is the hope gate for the Egypt. The Economist continued saying, “Egypt’s political system needs to be reopened. A good place to start would be for al-Sisi to announce that he will not stand again for election in 2018.”
Since the military coup in 2013 led by al-Sisi against Egypt’s first democratically elected president Mohamed Morsi, al-Sisi has tightened his control over the Egypt’s media.
As a result,the military regime launched a massive crackdown against any opposition which has included the closing of TV channels, newspapers and the arrests of journalists.
On the other hand, only pro-regime TV anchors like Moussa were allowed to appear freely on the Egyptian media, to spread al-Sisi’s regime narrations on domestic and national incidents.
In October 2015, the social media spread mockery on Ahmed Moussa when he used video game footage as proof of Russian accuracy with its airstrikes in Syria – which the TV anchor praised.
Al-Arabi al-Jadeed cited Ahmed Moussa while introducing the video game clip saying,”Yes, this is the Russian army, this is Russian weaponry, this is Putin. Now you will see a terrifying video, terrifying.” Later, the clip was verified as being from a five-year-old combat flight simulator game.
As a result, screenshots from popular video games were uploaded by Twitter and Facebook users including Donkey Kong and Mario Kart, accompanied with the title “Ahmed Moussa reports”.