In a written statement Friday, Ministry of Environment and Urbanization said the extent of the damage had been surveyed in Sur after security forces cleared PKK terrorists from the district.
Some 4,000 buildings would be built in Colguzeli and Uckuyular neighborhoods to replace those destroyed in security operations, the ministry said, adding the first 1,000 houses would be ready by the end of 2016.
“With 2 billion liras budget, the district will be almost rebuilt. Thousands of houses will be constructed, potable water pipeline and sewer lines will be repaired,” the ministry said.
Over 10 historic buildings, including the Kursunlu Mosque would also be restored, the statement added.
On Sunday, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim announced a special package for the country’s east and southeastern provinces.
Speaking at a meeting in Diyarbakir, Yildirim had said Turkey would invest 10 billion Turkish liras ($3.3 billion) in eastern provinces of the country.
Anti-PKK operations began after the group started its attacks in July last year in Turkey’s eastern and southeastern part.
The PKK — also listed as a terrorist organization by the U.S. and EU — resumed its decades-old armed campaign in July last year. Since then, more than 600 security personnel have been martyred and more than 7,000 PKK terrorists killed.