An Israeli settler rammed into two Palestinians in Israel-occupied West Bank on Tuesday, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry, according to Anadolu Agency.
The ministry said in a statement a man was seriously injured and his wife sustained moderate injuries in the attack in the northern city of Qalqiliya.
The incident took place on the main road near the village of al-Nabi Elyas while the Palestinian couple was on their way to their farm east of Qalqiliya, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health.
The illegal Israeli settlement of Alfei Menashem is located in the area. The two were evacuated to the Darwish Nazzal hospital in Qalqiliya. Hospital general manager Ghassan Barakat said that that the husband, identified as 61-year-old Muhammad Daoud, sustained serious wounds, while his wife, 58-year-old Naela Hassan Ali Dawood, was moderately injured.
Initial reports did not indicate whether the incident was suspected to be a traffic accident or an attack.
An Israeli army spokesperson said that they were looking into the reports. Settler attacks on Palestinians and their property are a regular occurrence in the West Bank, where Palestinians are surrounded by some 500,000 to 600,000 Israeli settlers residing in at least 196 illegal settlements and 232 outposts on occupied Palestinian territory.
Since the start of 2016, some 88 attacks have already been reported, with at least 221 attacks carried out in 2015, according to UN documentation. However, the number is likely much higher, as many attacks on Palestinians often go unreported.
According to Palestinian figures, more than 240 Palestinians have been killed since an uptick in Israeli-Palestinian violence began in October of last year.
Israel, for its part, says 42 Israelis have been killed by Palestinians over the same period.
The majority of settler attacks committed against Palestinians are met with impunity, with Israelis rarely facing consequences for such attacks.