Morocco’s Central Bureau of Judicial Investigation (BCIJ) arrested on Tuesday and Wednesday six people on suspicion of belonging to the so-called Islamic State, better known as ISIS, in different cities across Morocco, including Casablanca, Tangier, Tetouan, Marrakech and Safi, the Ministry of Interior said in a statement on Wednesday.
A preliminary investigation revealed that the suspects had been promoting terrorist attacks carried out by ISIS in several countries, pledging that they would carry out similar ones in Morocco.
The investigation has also revealed that some of the detainees had contact with ISIS fighter in Syria and Iraq and had been learning how to manufacture explosives to carry out terrorist attacks in vital and public areas of Morocco, the communiqué added.
Following the arrest, the BCIJ confiscated electronic equipment, electrical cables, gloves and protective masks that used in the manufacture of explosives, knives, as well as documents authorizing the liquidation of people who are not affiliated with ISIS and the banner of the terrorist organization, said the communiqué.
The suspects will appear in court as soon as the ongoing investigation of the public prosecutor ends. According to the communiqué, the dismantling of this cell is part of a larger effort being undertaken by Moroccan security services to counter growing terrorist threats.
Over the past few years, Morocco has made many efforts to eradicate terrorism and thwart any potential serious threat exposed to destabilize the country.
In February, Mohamed Moufakir, Wali and Director General of International Cooperation at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that Moroccan authorities 168 terrorist cells since the September 11 terrorist attacks. Fifty of the dismantled cells had connections to foreign hotbeds of terrorism, including Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Syria, and the Sahel.