Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım has warned that it was too early to say the fight against the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ) was over, adding that the organization’s full structure is not yet known.
“It is too early to say ‘this issue is now over.’ The judgement processes [of FETÖ-linked suspects] are continuing, and different things may come out during this process, meaning new developments may happen. That is to say, we should not disregard this possibility,” Yıldırım said on July 13 in a meeting with chief editors of newspapers in Istanbul.
“Taking into account all factors such as the phenomenon’s size, the organization’s non-transparent structure and its complicated relations, surprising developments can happen,” he noted.
Another coup attempt not possible
When asked about the possibility of a new coup attempt in Turkey, Yıldırım said it was out of the question, while noting that in case of such an attempt, its consequences for those undertaking it would be harsher compared to those for last year’s failed coup attempt suspects.
“Such a situation is out of the question. But if such a similar madness or foolishness was conducted, its price would more severe,” he said.
Yıldırım said the rumor of a new coup attempt being on the horizon is a message kept alive by FETÖ for the purpose of giving the image that they are not finished yet.
“Does this [allegation] drive us to languor? Of course not. We are taking every kind of precaution. My demand particularly from my citizens is that they should not disturb their lives and comfort by lending an ear to such interpretations and rumors that are constantly roaming around. They should continue living their normal lives,” he said.
“There are units of our state that stand upright night and day and constantly follow such works for the people’s peace and comfort. We have a government, law enforcement officers, and judiciary members, and above all a dynamic media. One of the biggest powers that has prevented the July 15  coup is media, which may not have been very well noticed,” he said.
Yıldırım has also touched upon main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu’s previous claim that the coup attempt occurred within the knowledge of the government and was therefore a “controlled coup.”
“The statement ‘July 15 is a controlled coup’ is not Kılıçdaroğlu’s own evaluation or opinion. It is a result of a report that FETÖ made a U.S. think-tank write. He [Kılıçdaroğlu] used it,” Yıldırım said.
“Where did they [CHP] stand at Gezi [Park] incidents? Where did the opposition party stand during Dec. 17-25, 2013, judiciary coup, when they were coming to get the president, prime minister, and us; when the summary of proceedings were prepared? Where did it [CHP] stand in the following processes?” Yıldırım added.