The Egyptian media is dealing with the disappearance of prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi as an opponent to the Saudi regime who is kidnapped in the Turkish territories.
Khashoggi was last seen entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on October 2, to extract papers on his marriage. He never came out. Turkey believes that he was killed in the consulate. Riyadh denied the allegations of kidnapping or killing Khashoggi and said it’s a baseless accusation.
Although the Egyptian media are very reluctant and cautious on all matters where the Saudi Kingdom is an original party in it, such as the arrest of Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri in Riyadh at the end of October last year, however, this time was completely different.
The case of the disappearance of the prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi attracted much attention at the Egyptian media table.
The news reports and titles found on the newspaper were only portraying these messages; “Saudi ambassador to Washington: Jamal Khashoggi’s safety is a top priority for the kingdom.” Another title read, “a former Saudi dissident: I have been cruel to my country for 20 years and nobody has threatened me.”
More titles appeared as “Khashoggi’s family: We trust our government. “A Saudi denies the assassination of Jamal Khashoggi in the Kingdom’s Consulate and the Saudi Foreign Ministry denies rumors of the expulsion of the Turkish ambassador from the kingdom.” In his last contact with his father, Khashoggi’s son said: We don’t know his Turkish Fiance and the Saudi consulate open its doors for inspections. ”
The private newspaper Al-Watan also followed the Saudi story, and its headlines said,” Dhahi Khalfan: the accusations against Saudi Arabia on the abduction of Khashoggi are fabricated stories.” Another headline read,” A Saudi analyst said Qatar’s media distorts the Kingdom’s image after the disappearance of Khashoggi and kidnapping is not our way.” It also cited a political analyst saying,” Qatar and Turkey are trying to blackmail Saudi Arabia.”
Al-Youm7, an Egyptian newspaper, was the highest trumpet in supporting Saudi Arabia and attacking Turkey and Qatar, It stated in its the headlines:” El-Doha resort to claim crimes against Saudi Arabia. Okaz reveals the involvement of the Muslim Brotherhood and Qatar in the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi.”
In addition to its Editor-in-Chief Dandrawi Al-Hawari who wrote an article that titled ” Did Qatar and the Brotherhood get rid of Jamal Khashoggi after his intention to return to Saudi Arabia? ”
Moreover, in the Egyptian television, Ahmed Mousa the T.V presenter close to the al-Sisi’s regime, said in his program;” The Saudi authorities have confirmed that Gamal Khashoggi entered the consulate and came out of it,” adding that” this game was played against Saudi Arabia by the Turkish intelligence service whose history is full of assassinations. ” He also confirmed that the Saudi scenario in the case of Jamal Khashoggi is the right one.
The same thing happened when Amr Adib, a T.V presenter close to the Egyptian regime, who had recently moved MBC Saudi Arabia, where he asked websites and newspapers not to anticipate events and not jump to conclusions due to the inaccuracy of the incident. “Don’t be like Al Jazeera’s channel or follow its path,” he said.
Accordingly, the Egyptian media aligned itself automatically to the Saudi’s side as well as the country’s foreign policy and stane concerning Khashoggi ‘s case.
The Egyptian Foreign Ministry’s Spokesman, Ahmed Hafez, issued a statement Sunday expressing Egypt’s concerns over the storm of hype made by the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
“The Arab Republic of Egypt is following with concern the consequences of the disappearance of the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, stressing the importance of revealing the truth about what happened in a transparent investigation, emphasizing the gravity of anticipating ongoing investigations and of arbitrarily making accusations against the Saudi Kingdom.
Egypt warns against the attempts to exploit the case politically against Saudi Arabia based on false accusations, the Egyptian republic asserts its support to the kingdom’s efforts in dealing with the situation,” read the statement.
Khashoggi was last seen in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2 to get documents for his forthcoming marriage. Turkish officials claimed that the Saudi Journalist disappeared after entering his country’s consulate, While Saudi officials have asserted that Khashoggi has left shortly after he went into the building.
It is worth to mention that the Saudi Kingdom had backed the military coup in Egypt against Egypt’s First democratically elected President Mohamed Morsi, in an attempt to turn the clock back, to halt the wave of democratization heralded by the toppling of Arab dictators.
The Saudi regime had delivered a blank check to Cairo, promising to shower it with money as needed. Within a week of the Egyptian military’s takeover, the Kingdom had announced a $12 billion rescue package to Abdel Fattah al-Sisi’ regime.